
Once again, James and I took the boys to the Holi Festival of Colors at the Sri Sri Rahda Krishna temple in Spanish Fork on Saturday. We LOVE this festival. It's fun, re-energizing and amazing. I'm sure we will be there each and every year.
In India, Holi announces the arrival of Spring and the passing of Winter. People are seen dancing, singing and throwing colors on each other. The festival is one way to enjoy spiritual and social harmony. Covered in colors, everyone looks the same. The festival of Holi includes a bonfire which metaphorically is meant to signify the destruction of evil-the burning of "Holika", a mythological demon. The heat from the fire is a reminder that winter is behind and that the hot summer days are ahead.
This year they had two programs, one at 1:00 and one at 5:00. We went to the early one since I had to work that night. We got there early enough to enjoy the music and dancing and see the burning of "Holika" as well as the countdown to the throwing of the colors. Tanner was in St. George at a track meet, but his girlfriend, Natalie joined us in his place. :) We all had so much fun!
James and I enjoying the festivities. James was having so much fun making sure that EVERYONE was covered in colors, even strangers. He walked around throwing colors on any White-or uncolored spot he could find. It was so fun to watch.
The kids hiding their faces and trying to breathe in the midst of the flying colors. We were right in the center of everything and when the colors were thrown, it was completely dark for about a minute! We were literally under a cloud of colors. The air was thick and heavy...but it was amazing to be a part of!




1 comment:
love it! Wish I was there.
Post a Comment