
I somehow got talked into doing the Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay this year with a bunch of friends from work. This race (for those of you who may not know) goes from Logan to Park City--180 miles. Your team (of 12) runs straight through the day and night until you reach the finish line. I started training in March for this race and felt pretty comfortable with my training. But what I wasn't prepared for was the heat, no sleep and stiffening up in the car while you waited for your next leg. My legs were 5 miles, 3.1 miles and 5.1 miles--which means I ran a total of 13.2 miles within 24 hrs.

It was an amazing opportunity and a physical and mental challenge I will never forget. I am grateful for my team and the support they gave me. I couldn't have done it without them. I am so glad I got to know the girls in my van--Van 1--which was nicknamed "Vangina". Van 2 was nicknamed the Uterbus. (What do you expect from a bunch of Labor and Delivery nurses?)

My van: Cynthia, Stacy, Cheryl, Me, Emily and Kristina

Along the route, I ran into one of my best friends from High School, Amy Hanks (Scharmann) which I haven't seen for years! It was such a surprise and a lot of fun to see her.

James also ran the relay with a bunch of his friends. Even though he was in Van 2 on his team, I ran into him at the 1st major exchange.

Since I was in Van 1 and he was in Van 2, I was able to be at the finish line to see his team run in! They did awesome finishing in 27 hours, 4 min, and 3 sec.


My team ran in to the finish line with stork shirts that said "Push, Push, Push" on the back and balloons under our shirts so we all looked pregnant. It was quite funny. We were just so thrilled to finish! Our official time was 31 hours, 7 min, 6 sec. This beat our L&D team from last year's time by 2 1/2 hours! We are all so proud! If nothing else, we can say we did it! What an accomplishment! We also found out the next day that our team one of the relay's personality awards. We won the Homecoming Award! There were only 4 awards given and out of over 580 teams, we won one of them!!! Woohoo!

James team at the finish line.

My team at the finish line.
6 comments:
Tina - you are truly amazing! I can't believe that you were able to do this. What an inspiration for all us runners who are just starting out. Keep up the great work. What a great job!
Wow...my hero. I haven't ran in I can't tell you how long. So glad to see it in your post...Welcome to the blogging world and I will look forward to many more cool post. Congrats on your team and so cute with the preggars belly running to the finish. Maybe you can help me get back into shape by running.
You go girl! I'm exhausted just reading about it! I'm very impressed with anyone who can run for any extended amount of time. I'll be up there this weekend, we (you, me and Nat) should all go to lunch or something. I'll be at Nat's house Friday afternoon, then I'm going to Tim Mcgraw's concert, then I'll be back at Nat's house on Saturday and probably Sunday. I would love to get together with you! It has been FOREVER! My e-mail address is amygoeser@hotmail.com. I'm not sure if I have a current phone number or e-mail for you. So send me an e-mail and we can exchange phone numbers and stuff. Talk to you soon!
Oh, and I meant to put Heidi in for us to all go to lunch too! My brain is too overloaded these days....
i still can't believe that you ran that! i love the balloons in the shirt thing, that is awsome. i'm linking you on my blog so now i can look at your blog all the time :) you even have music, fancy! keep up the posting.
Tina! I am so happy you are blogging. I have missed you so much! You look great and I am so happy for you this rocks!! You know these runner…you or your team ran right infront of my house that weekend. Ben my youngest stood outside all day spraying runners with the hose.
Keep posting and I hope we can meet up someday soon!
HUGS Sunny
Post a Comment